Friday, October 19, 2012

The Next Big Thing Bloghop

Hi, blog friends! I was tagged by my blog buddy Alexia Chamberlynn to participate in the 20th week of The Next Big Thing Bloghop. It's fun because you get to talk about one of your WIPs, and I've chosen one of the books I am currently revising.


What is the working title of your book?
The working title is Rahul and the Magic Spirit.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
The idea like most of my ideas just popped into my mind. I don’t really remember how exactly I stumbled upon this idea.

What genre does your book fall under?
I feel it falls under Juvenile Paranormal Fiction (if such a category exists) with lots of comedy elements in it.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
If Darsheel Safary (of the Taare Zameen Par fame) was a little younger I would have chosen him. Can’t think of anyone else now.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
I am still working on that. In a nutshell it would be something like this. Nine-year old Rahul Sharma, battling exam fears and a fear of bullies, finds it difficult to control his temper, especially after he is granted an ability to do magic by a Magic Spirit he frees from imprisonment; his magic becomes disastrous for his school teachers and classmates.
I know its not the best one sentence description of my book, but its all I could think of at this point.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Hopefully it will take the traditional publishing route. I will not be querying this book, but will approach Indian Publishers directly.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
First draft took me one month. After that there were a few more drafts. I am revising it now after more than 3 years. I wrote a few other books after this and literally moved on with my writing life. Then, for some strange reason I decided that in October, I will revise this book and another one which I had written alongside this.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Not sure which books I can compare it with. But I would like to say that if a child has enjoyed Roald Dahl’s books and the Wimpy Kid Diaries, they will like this book.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
This book was inspired by my nephew when he was in junior school. At that point he was prone to getting nervous before exams. He is past all that now, but the idea germinated in my mind at that time.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
It will probably make them revisit their school days. I don’t want to say anything more as I am revising it now, so I really don’t know how it will all turn out.

I am tagging three blog buddies (they have all agreed to be tagged). They are Mark Noce, Ellie Garrat and Robyn Campbell. You can check Alexia’s post here.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and I also hope you all have a great weekend.

20 comments:

  1. Nice work Rachna! Wish your latest writing endeavor a huge success:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you success, ma'am. All the best. Thanks for sharing about your work here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved hearing about your book Rachna. It sounds good. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If that genre doesn't exist now, I'm sure it will soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun book for kids!! I love that he gets magic powers. Super cool. Thanks for helping keep the blog hop going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds wonderful, Rachna! I love the premise. Good luck and have fun with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi friends..I hope to pitch this book for younger readers 8 and above. I want all the children to wish that they too get magic powers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow sounds great Rachna. I am impressed and wish you well. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a cool idea, Rachna! Our family members often inspire us with story ideas.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing about what inspired a writer's story. Sounds like a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My thought was the same as Alex's. I'm sure it will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed learning about your writing process for this book, as well as the book. I think it sounds like a winner. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forget kids, if it's like Roald Dahl and Wimpy Kid, I'm there. I'm sure it will appeal across the board - it sounds fun! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me at "Roald Dahl". ;-)

    Sounds like you're working on a great book. All the best in getting it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds great, Rachna! I can't wait to hear about its success! Love the genre too. Maybe you have coined a new one. *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun post! It's nice to learn more about you. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry for taking so long to visit. I'm a bad blogger and friend!

    I loved reading your answers. They've told me so much about your book and the inspirations behind it. I would love to see it on the same shelves as the Wimpy Kid books.

    I realised last week that I've already done this blog hop back in September and with NaNoWriMo coming up I don't want to repeat it. However, I was thinking of doing it for my short story collection in December. I hope you can be patient with me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds so fun! I hope an Indian publisher picks it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed hearing about your work. I was never sure what genre you wrote in and now I know. I hope they love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds delightful. Comparing it to Dahl and Wimpy Kid was the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete