Friday, July 31, 2015

What kind of friends does your MC have?

Friends are an important part of our lives. I’m sure we all look forward to long conversations with our close friends. We confide in them and cry over their shoulders. They are the reason we smile even in the midst of trouble. Our friends understand us better than anyone else.

The same rule applies when we write our stories. Our main characters too need a clutch of friends. Here is my take on few types of friends we can give our protagonists:

    1.  The Sacrificing Martyr – who will sacrifice his or her comfort to help the protagonist. Just like Hermione and Ron who almost always put Harry’s interest before their own. This was visible especially in the last book when they left the comforts of Hogwarts to be with Harry.

     2. The Fair Weather Friends – who will desert the ship when troubled times loom large. The support of this kind of friends is only for the good times. These friends are selfish.

    3. The Voice of Caution – a lot like Hermione in the Potter Series. This type of friend also doubles as a guardian and conscience rolled into one, giving warning about the repercussions of certain actions the protagonist undertakes. This type of friend can put up a fight if they feel that the protagonist is acting foolish or taking unnecessary risks.

    4.  The Idiot – who provides the lighter moments and is the butt of all the jokes like Neville Longbottom  and Luna Lovegood in the Potter series. These friends are harmless and can rise to the occasion if the need arises.

     5.  The Turn Coat – who doesn’t think twice before betraying the protagonist  when it suits them to serve other interests that clash with the protagonist’s.

      6. The Fool Hardy One – this type of friend leads the protagonist into all kinds of trouble.  

      7. The Wise Ones – who have the answer to most puzzles  bugging the protagonist. These friends can be a great source of help to the protagonist.

     8.  The Dependable Ones – these friends can and  will almost always help the protagonist  and will stick with him or her  through troubled times, through thick and thin. Hermione comes to mind when I think of this kind of a friend.

    9.  The Jealous Friend – this kind of friend is fiercely competitive and sees the protagonist more as a rival than a friend. These friends are extremely prone to jealousy and may even harm in a fit of jealousy.

   10.  The Silent One – who seldom offers an opinion, but can be extremely loyal and protective of the MC.

   11.  The Defender – who gets into all kind of trouble trying to protect the hero/heroine. This type of friend picks up fights on behalf of the MC.

   12.  The Lackeys – who hang around the MC as it’s prestigious to be seen in their company. They are like leeches, they can never be depended upon for help.

What kind of friend/s have you given your protagonist?  Did you ponder over the type of friend you wanted to give the Main Character, or did it just happen as a part of the story? Do you take time to create the perfect friend for your hero/heroine? Please share. We all can learn lots from your process.



17 comments:

  1. In reality, we get only types 2, 5, and 9. So I keep only such realistic friends in my stories as well :P

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you have been let down by friends, Rajesh :(

      Delete
  2. In my last book, the main friend was a combination of sacrificing and dependable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, as I write MG Fiction, I like to incorporate many types of friends to make my stories interesting.

      Delete
  3. My friendships develop as part of my various characters' personalities, but I have most of these in my books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misha, I like the idea of friendships developing as a part of various characters' personalities.

      Delete
  4. Nice post. In my stories, friendships with the protagonist arise as the story unfolds the first time around. They tend to be along the lines of 7 and 8, but the story I'm working on now has a growing friendship with someone who's more along the lines of #6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I like the 7 and 8 types of friends the most :) My two besties belong to that category.

      Delete
  5. Some of the friends I write are supportive, while others add tension by being disagreeable. I pay attention to these dynamics when I'm outlining and drafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Medeia for giving me the idea of paying attention to friendship dynamics while outlining and drafting. I seldom do that.

      Delete
  6. Wow! That's a lot of friend categories! My protags rarely have friends. Their lives are usually messed up in some way that makes them withdrawn. In my next book, I'm finally including a friend who's funny & very supportive --- so I can kill her off before the end and upset the reader! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure are going to get the readers upset, Lexa. And killing a supportive and a funny friend would be a sacrilege.

      Delete
  7. What a helpful list of possibilities. Reading over this, I realize that I tend toward dependable and wise friends. Maybe I should stir things up a bit with a fool hardy type--they might make things more interesting! Thanks for the ideas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I take the Jane Austen approach. Making characters with opposite personalities best friends often makes for a good narrative:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices! Because children's books are SO heavily friend-oriented, coming up with different friend types can definitely be a challenge. This could help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the names you have given them! My current MC just moved to a new town and I have not yet given her friends. I better think of one and add it in soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That list was fairly comprehensive, Rachna!

    ReplyDelete